Skytree
We started the day at the Skytree in the hopes it would be a bit clearer but it was still pretty overcast. It was still amazing though, looked impressive from the ground, and then when you went up (and we went up to the 450m deck) tokyo looks like a model village type thing, the buildings and cars are smaller than toys.
It was fun spotting places we'd been (eg Tokyo dome city) and Sensoji temple where we were going next! We also walked on the glass floor bit, that bit could do with being bigger I think as everyone was trying to get on it and it's quite small, but it was cool and scary!
After that we tried to go for breakfast in the skytree view restaurant in a connected building but it wasnt yet open (a recurring theme of our breakfast exploits!) So we went to starbucks instead as that was open and willing to feed us and we were starving! I tried to make it more Japanese by having a green tea Frappuccino though.
Asakusa
Next we walked to Asakusa to see Sensoji temple. Definitely the most impressive shrine of the temples we'd seen, very lavish!
On the way out we bumped into Aaron's friend and his girlfriend who we'd planned to meet that evening in an entirely different part of Tokyo, random coincidence in such a massive city!!! Also they were wearing matching outfits which was very amusing! So we found a little teahouse place and had a chat and a drink before parting ways.
Our next stop was kappabashi which wasn't as fun as I'd hoped but had some interesting shops. Then it was over to Rikugien garden.
Rikugien
Rikugien was beautiful- it replicates 88 scenes from poetry in miniature. Not knowing the poems that aspect was a bit lost on me but essentially from wherever I stood I could see something that looked like a classic painting!
Also there were plenty of giant fish and some turtles in the pond so of course we liked it. We did a very short route around the garden because after 2 weeks of so much walking our feet were protesting a bit.
![]() |
| Fish and two turtles! |
Lost in Translation
We went back to the hotel to change and then we went to the Park Hyatt of Lost in Translation fame. We had very strong cocktails (I was pleased- the vodka cocktails were made with Grey Goose, faaancy) looking out over the glittering Tokyo skyline and listening to the jazz band play.
We were right next to the band and enjoyed guessing whether the drummer was messing with the rest of the band by adding in bits haha, he certainly looked a bit pleased with himself and the pianist wasn't looking so happy! Also there was a clearly very important man sitting in front of us, who we decided was yakuza haha.
It took us a while to get served and the man who took our order didnt write it down... and it never arrived. Eventually another man came over, apologised and asked if he could take our order again! The order included two glasses of water and even when the rest of our order turned up with a promise that the water was following it never did and Aaron had to ask again! Given that it cost £30 for us to even be in the bar I really expected a bit better, we were in there 2hrs and had one drink and a water each! However, if you have to wait for drinks this was an excellent place to do so and I suspect we were probably just unlucky. It was the perfect place for the last night of a honeymoon- classy and romantic :)
...So of course we followed it with karaoke! I couldn't bring myself to tell the concierge who got us a cab that's where we wanted to go so I just said the station!!! We got the yamanote to Shibuya where we had to change trains to get to Hanzomon anyway, and we know it so much better, and with the help of google maps located a Big Echo. It was aptly named- there was soo much reverb on the mic! Initially we asked for half an hour... then extended to an hour, and if we hadn't had a train to catch I think we'd have extended again! We aren't karaoke people usually but it was so much fun!!! Even funnier because I sounded awful (no surprise) but so did Aaron (big surprise!) He wasn't happy..!
Next post: Day 15: Our last day



















No comments:
Post a Comment